Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Until Now




My theme for this semester has been cryptic color; exploring the significance of color and the absence of color. However, my theme not only explores this idea, but also a particular medium which is photography mixed media. This came from a want to combine two of the visual art worlds, and has turned into being able to expand my horizons in and out of the studio in more ways thought possible. At first mixed media was just with traditional supplies like other types of paper, paint, and writing utensils, but it has turned into a lot more than that. I have explored the idea of photoshop, 3D elements, and more just so far.


After coming to an artist block for awhile, I finally came back to figuring out where my best art comes from and that is the art I can relay a message through that particularly deals with my personal experiences. Through my theme I have been able to pick and choose what exactly I want to highlight for my audience to try and interpret, and what I rather include but not emphasis. I have found as an artist this element is most important to me, because art is a therapy on its own for me, it is a way for me to get things out, but I do not necessarily want everyone to know exactly what I am putting out there. This is why this theme has worked well for me so far; I can include everything, but emphasis only some parts. 

Currently I am brainstorming multiple ideas for projects to come, but the difficulty in it all is now picking mediums. With mixed media being part of my theme, I have a lot more options than anticipated and it has been overwhelming picking what I want to work with in particular projects. Right now it seems as if I was given a whole new world of tools, and do not know what to do with them. I have several ideas, but now it is a matter of narrowing them down and executing them.  

1 comment:

  1. As an artist it is important to reflect, and you have done a good job with that so far. Maybe you could examine and reflect on your actual process to help you narrow down these new possibilities. If it was just you in the studio making work, no other distractions, how would you make these choices?

    ReplyDelete